Sunday 26 February 2012

Labyrinth

By Kate Mosse
And the people have spoken, so back to work I go.
Its one of those books I bought years ago, and only just got round to, partly because I was feeling slightly bored by the stream of low quality SF. I seem to remember that it was mightily lauded in its time, honestly can't remember how long it as say in the spare room bookshelf. A volunteer archaeologist working in the mountains south of Carcassonne turns up something unexpected, two bodies in a cave shrine. A teenage girl in Cathar Carcassonne becomes involved in an ancient conspiracy. Past lives, holy grail, though without the Holy Blood, yadda, yadda, yadda.
I read on Wikipedia that Labyrinth possesses the dubious distinction among major best sellers of having the worst 5 to 1 star review ratio out there. I am not entirely sure why, unless there's a meme out there I missed.
I didn't think it a great book, by and stretch of the imagination. The characters are all a bit one dimensional, and I never really believed the 13th century girl being able to multi-class as Herbalist/Fighter. But it's not that bad either. Decent enough action sequences. Give it 2 or 3 stars. And give it to Oxfam.


No comments: