Saturday 18 October 2008

13th October: Kaikoura



Chat to the (Israeli) couple sharing the kitchen for breakfast. They're off to swim with dolphins, which sounds pretty jolly. Can this be combined with whale watching I wonder? Turns out a) not all that easily, so book whale place for today, and dolphin place for tomorrow and b) the whole thing's academic since sea fog has pretty much put the kibosh on anything sea related. The first whale trip is canceled, so I book onto a later one, but that is canceled as well. Give up on the whole whale thing. They have Sperm whales here, which are better than the Grey whales I saw ten years ago off San Diego (God, has it been that long...) but haven't quite the appeal of others. For humpbacks I'd walk over glass. Instead I go tramping, in a hilly, but visually unsatisfying forest track to the north of Kaikoura. Doubly annoying since my wretched Zen case seems to have there dropped a 16Gb SD card loaded with TTRH, In Our Time and Superman. I hope someone finds it and enjoys, but that player continues to annoy me. Come on Creative - Apple do a 160Gb machine, but I don't want to let Steve Jobs own my music. Just get back in the game.
Back in town the fog continues to dominate. Decent steak & chips in a central pub, then watch dumb action flicks with German au pairs.

No comments: