Wednesday 22 October 2008

21st October: Palmerston North to Rotarua


The drive towards Poor Knights would have book possible, but insane. 700km. So here I am in Rotarua, wondering if this is somewhere I really want to be.
The problem is that the stuff I know about here I've done. There was a nice tour with three thermal sites, and in the evening a Mauri hangi (meal) cum 'cultural experience', which is pretty much a haka in a pre colonial mock up. Nothing wrong with it, but been there, done that.
Coming up from PN in the morning looked a bit grizzly, and the central volcanoes where shrouded in clouds, but it cleared and by Taupo it was all bright and sunny.
I stopped at a thermal site - which is to say somewhere exhibiting a range of low level volcanic activity and foul smells. Turned out to have been part of the 2000 tour. No real changes, no great excitement.
Staying in a rather small room in a perfectly nice and cheap backpackers. But I need to take control. I've got two full days before getting on that plane. I need to do something, instead of just letting it happen to me.

Later.
OK, something like a plan... Tomorrow I'm going back to Waitomo. Something mad involving caves. I need something mad. After that? Coromandel sounds nice, it's only a stone's throw from Auckland, so not a bad place to wind up on Thursday night if I don't head to the bright lights of Auckland.

No comments: