Thursday 23 October 2008

22nd October: Rotarua to Waitomo



Oh boy did I need that. Not getting there, that was nasty, but the Blackwater Rafting thing has truly cleared my mind.
The flyer showed a route from Rotarua to Waitomo that seemed on my big map to be rather more direct than taking the main roads even if it was through back country. And very pretty, Shire like, back country, with several bits you'd have thought Peter Jackson would have wanted to work in somehow or other. Unfortunately, as is so often the case with C roads, the signposting was awful, there were unexpected detours, and places you were heading for disappeared from signposts, only to pop up pointing back the way you came 5km on. Would have been much easier to just take the main roads.
Still, in the end, Waitomo, wet suits, helmets, torches and riding down waterfalls on a rubber ring. Never done anything like it before, but it's blown the cobwebs out. Such fun that I've booked on to do a more extreme version tomorrow.
Bit of a disaster later - a pot of butter has melted in my food bag and I managed to get to good sized dollops onto the back seat of my car! Scrounge upholstery cleaner from backpackers, hopefully that'll get rid of the worst of the grease.
Goof off evening in backpackers, reading, watching rotten TV and chatting to and Olympic hockey players.

No comments: