Tuesday 21 October 2008

20th October: Nelson to Picton, no strike that, Palmerston North

That's a bummer.
So the plan went like this. Nelson to Picton, about 155km, easy morning's drive. Already booked into Picton YHA for the night, one less thing to worry about. Go along and introduce myself at the dive centre. Get all that cards, and 'what does Dive Leader mean' and actually I've not got a paper logbook, but email Gary if you need to confirm things. Then probably a quick hike along Queen Charlotte Sound, and tomorrow the Mikhael Lermentov, probably the most accessible ocean liner wreck in the world. T at done, dash for the ferry (about 5km from the dive centre) ans across to spend the night in Wellington before starting to drive up Wednesday and Thursday. All planned, all perfect.
Brent, the guy that takes people diving has had a heart attack.
I am probably not as sympathetic as I should be.
Tania, Brent's wife hasn't known which email to look for to contact me, and while I think I gave Brent my phone number she couldn't find it. She suggests the Poor Knights as an alternative dive destination. Seems a hell of a way to go - North of Auckland. Could it be done?
Let's see... Well the first stage is get across the Straight as soon as possible. The ferry people are helpful I can change the ticket to travel in... about 50 minutes time. No time to find the YHA and cancel the night's booking, so I phone Duncan in PN and ask him to, ps can I crash on your sofa tonight. There should be a cancellation fee, but no big deal.
So let's think. The boat will get into Wellington about 5. Will need to whiz by the YHA and cancel that. Then PN, should be there 7.30 to 8.
I'm flying 1350 on Friday. So any diving would have to be done Wednesday. Could I do PN to Northland on Tuesday alone? Or should I just forget it and go do the whole volcano thing in Rotarua?

No comments: